Arno River, Firenze, Italia

Arno River, Firenze, Italia

Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Passion for Traveling...



"We travel not to escape life, but so life doesn't escape us..."

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.” [So initiate the countdown. Leave behind the safety of home. Soar past your fears.] Explore. Dream. Discover.”---Mark Twain

"I have learned firsthand the beauty of traveling, how the world can open my eyes to new possibilities and seemingly impossible opportunities. I hope this piece encourages you to “wake your dreams”--- that these pictures may one day be more than mere locations, but instead can become for you the prompt for great conversations, remarkable stories, and unforgettable memories." -Brie Millington


This piece was inspired by my travels this summer: backpacking through China and Thailand, living on an island in Sitka, AK, and driving through Yellowstone National Park to Seattle, WA. As much as I hated living out of a suitcase, there was something freeing about having no responsibilities or time-constraints other than those I created myself. Trains would leave on the hour, and the Great Wall would always be there. It is addicting to travel, and sometimes I admit, I do so to escape life. But when I look at all there is to see and discover, I am charged with a fear that I will not have enough time to experience it all. I know there is a cost either way, but as Mark Twain so plainly stated the issue, I don't want to be at the end, only to realize I chose the wrong path and cannot go back.

So here is my promise: that nothing, the desire for the familiarity of home or even the fear of being pushed out of my comfort zone, will prevent me from exploring and traveling to new places.


No comments:

Post a Comment